Tie Dye T-shit Tutorial | The Flamingo Chronicals: Tie Dye T-shit Tutorial

Tie Dye T-shit Tutorial

Let me just say - that I am a tie-dying fool. I LOVE to tie-dye! I try to work it in every few years at the Day Camp that I run. The campers love to tie-dye too. Nothing makes a 100 kids happier than getting to make their own custom t-shirts and getting color all over themselves in the process.

I started with a clean white t-shirt and a mini Tie-Dye kit from Tulip in Fiesta. The kit comes with everything you need to create your own masterpiece, die, bottles, gloves, rubber bands, and a Project Guide that will tell you all the different ways you can dye your shirt.


My personal favorite style is the swirl. You will need to start in the middle of the shirt, pinch and twirl, and continue on until the entire shirt is wrapped up in a nice, flat disc.

Keep the shirt as flat as possible, add three rubber bands evenly spaced so you have 6 sections on the shirt. Now it's time to add the dye!!


Make sure you put the gloves on for this step. Really. Learn from me young Jedi. Add water as directed on the bottles and shake, making sure you still have the cap on. You will add the first color to every other section and then fill in with the second color. I like to do this step on a cookie sheet with a rack. That way if I have to put the shirt down it is on the rack, rather than sitting in the dye. 
TIP: You can also use three colors for this pattern. You would fill in two sections with each color, the sections would be directly across the circle from each other. 

Once you have all your color on, it is time to put your shirt in a gallon zipper top bag and let it sit overnight. In the morning dump the shirt in your washer and THEN snip the rubber bands.
Trust me on this one.
Seriously.
Wash on a full cycle in hot water with a little bit of soap and then dry.
Bam! You are now a Tie-dye master!



No comments:

Post a Comment